Our network

News

Shark warning signs posted at Nanakuli Beach Park again

NANAKULI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow)- Lifeguards say they spotted an 8-foot non-aggressive shark at Nanakuli Beach Park around 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Ocean safety officials decided to post shark warning signs.

On Monday, signs were posted after a 10-foot shark was seen jumping out of the water about 30 yards offshore at Nanakuli Beach Park.

Lifeguards remind beach-goers to be aware of any unusual activity taking place in the water and to get out of the water immediately if a shark is spotted. Any sightings should be reported by calling 911 and asking for "Ocean Safety".

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

 

Trial to begin for man accused in fatal stabbing of teacher

Tittleman Fauatea

HONOLUU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The trial for a man accused in the fatal stabbing of a Waianae teacher is set to begin Monday.

A judge will decide Tittleman Fauatea's fate after he previously chose to wave his right to a jury trial.

According to officials, 43-year-old Asa Yamashita was stabbed repeatedly while sitting on a bench at the Ewa Town Center in 2009.

Earlier this year, Fauatea was ruled mentally fit to proceed to trial.

Stay with HawaiiNewsNow.com for the latest updates.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Oahu residents plead guilty to gambling operation

HONOLULU (AP) - Two Oahu residents are pleading guilty to operating an illegal gambling business in Waianae.

Lloyd Robert Marshall and Nitta Mitsuko Marshall are also pleading guilty to 13 counts of evading currency regulations while handling proceeds from the business.

Federal prosecutors said Wednesday the Marshalls agreed to use their property as a site for illegal cockfighting contests and dice and card games between 2009 and 2011. Police observed from 100 to 600 people at these events. People attending paid parking and entrance fees.

The U.S. Attorney's office says the Marshalls each face up to five years in prison for the gambling charges and ten years in prison for each of the counts related to evading currency regulations.

They are scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 28.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Man killed in Ewa Beach motorcycle crash

EWA BEACH (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Police Department says speed is a possible factor in a fatal Ewa Beach motorcycle crash.

According to officials, the incident happened just before 9:15 p.m. Sunday on Iroquois Avenue when the man lost control of his bike and hit a utility pole.

Police say the man was not wearing a helmet. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

It is unknown at this time if alcohol was a factor in the crash.

This is Oahu's 46th traffic fatality this year, compared to 42 at the same time last year.

Stay with HawaiiNewsNow.com for the latest updates.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Suspect charged in shooting death of Makaha man

WAIANAE (HawaiiNewsNow)- A Waianae man has been charged with second degree murder in the shooting death of 26-year-old Christopher Medeiros in Makaha on Wednesday.

Police say the suspect, 23-year-old Chad Durran, implicated himself in the shooting. Charges were formally filed against Durran on Friday evening.

According to police, gunshots were reportedly fired at about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in the area of Lahaina Street in Makaha. Emergency Medical Services officials say Medeiros was transported to the Waianae Comprehensive Center in a private vehicle with a gunshot wound to the face.

He was later transferred to the Queen's Medical Center, where he died on Thursday. An autopsy was scheduled for Friday.

Bail was set at $750,000.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

New effort aimed at saving lives, money when dealing with homeless

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow)- There are an estimated one thousand unsheltered homeless on the streets of Oahu. Efforts are now getting underway to determine how many of them are the most medically vulnerable and at-risk.

Partners in Care, an organization of homeless service providers, is spearheading Oahu's part the "100,000 Homes Campaign," a national effort to place the chronically homeless into permanent shelters. Some 200 volunteers will be fanning out in Waikiki, Downtown Honolulu and the Waianae coast, surveying the unsheltered homeless to find the 100 who are most at-risk.

"You target the top hundred who have the most vulnerable medical needs, and then you put them into housing with wrap-around services, so they're getting the mental health assistance that they need, they're getting the medical assistance that they need, they're getting the case management that they need," said Kent Anderson, the project coordinator for Partners in Care.

Parents claim demolished public housing playgrounds making kids sick

MAILI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow)- There's a mystery at a Maili public housing project over whether recently demolished playgrounds have made area children sick.

Parents say there's even a mystery as to why four playgrounds, including one at the Maili 1 housing, were torn down in the first place.

"We never have no notices as to why they were going to take it down, so today we have no answers whatsoever. And that's all we want, answers," said Maili 1 resident Labor Ann Hidaro.

According to the Hawaii Public Housing Authority, the private management company that runs the complex took down the playgrounds because of vandalism. But parents are even more upset that the resulting debris wasn't cleared up right away. They suspect that some of the material may be connected to coughs that developed in their children.