UPDATE: Crash survivor mourns wife's death near Honokai Hale | News
HONOKAI HALE, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Family members came together to mourn the loss of a beloved mother and wife who was killed while waiting to cross the street.
Oscar Barcena said he rode the bus to pick his wife up from work at Foodland in Kapolei on Saturday, just as he did every night.
"We would be celebrating our 34th anniversary next month," Oscar explained. "She was a loving wife. She's good to me."
According to police, the two were hit after an SUV ran a red light and swerved to avoid a stopped vehicle. The Barcenas were waiting to cross Farrington Highway at Laaloa Street, at approximately 9:54 p.m., right across the street from their home in Honokai Hale.
Elena Barcena, 56, was taken to Pali Momi Hospital in critical condition, where she later died.
Oscar sustained a head injury and scrapes on his body. He was released from Queen's Medical Center today.
Family members described Elena as a positive, friendly person and hard worker. They moved to Hawaii from the Philippines two years ago for a better life.
The driver of the car, a woman from Waianae, was uninjured. Police say speed and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the crash. No arrests have been made, but authorities opened a negligent homicide investigation.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Meet "Daughter of the Air" Author at Kapolei Library on December 7
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Meet "Nemu Nemu" Webcomic Creator at Kapolei Library this Wednesday, Nov. 6
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free “Flooring Options for Your Home” Seminar
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts “Preparing for Rising Flood Insurance Premiums” Seminar