UPDATE: Crash survivor mourns wife's death near Honokai Hale | News
HONOKAI HALE, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Family members came together to mourn the loss of a beloved mother and wife who was killed while waiting to cross the street.
Oscar Barcena said he rode the bus to pick his wife up from work at Foodland in Kapolei on Saturday, just as he did every night.
"We would be celebrating our 34th anniversary next month," Oscar explained. "She was a loving wife. She's good to me."
According to police, the two were hit after an SUV ran a red light and swerved to avoid a stopped vehicle. The Barcenas were waiting to cross Farrington Highway at Laaloa Street, at approximately 9:54 p.m., right across the street from their home in Honokai Hale.
Elena Barcena, 56, was taken to Pali Momi Hospital in critical condition, where she later died.
Oscar sustained a head injury and scrapes on his body. He was released from Queen's Medical Center today.
Family members described Elena as a positive, friendly person and hard worker. They moved to Hawaii from the Philippines two years ago for a better life.
The driver of the car, a woman from Waianae, was uninjured. Police say speed and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the crash. No arrests have been made, but authorities opened a negligent homicide investigation.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- See Two Free Movies at Ewa Beach Library on February 24
- Learn More About Navigating Through New Solar Rules at a Free Solar Open House in Ewa Beach
- Emergency responders to conduct training exercises in Ewa
- See "Despicable Me 2" at Ewa Beach Library on Jan. 28
- Children's Author Will Read Christmas Book at Ewa Beach Library
- CBP's NATO West program helps new recruits transition quickly to career in real estate
- EMS puts four new ambulances into service
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts "Unlocking the Mysteries of Photovoltaic Systems" Seminar
- Kualakai Parkway reopened following oil spill
- Hear Hawaii Health Connector Speaker at Kapolei Library on Feb. 19