Drive-by shooting in broad daylight leaves bullet-riddled truck in Makaha | Crime
By Minna Sugimoto
A bullet-riddled truck. A shaken neighborhood. Honolulu police are investigating a drive-by shooting that happened in broad daylight in Makaha Tuesday.
When gunfire erupted on Upena Street at about 10 AM, Sina Peters initially thought it was construction noise that jolted her from her nap.
"It just sounded like banging on the back of the wall, so I jumped out of bed," she said. "It startled me."
The shooting left significant damage to a truck that was parked near her home. Multiple bullets punctured the passenger's side door and tore through the radiator.
"The dog came running up, so I brought him in the house," Peters said. "I happened to lock the door because I didn't know what was going on."
A 29-year-old man told Hawaii News Now that he had gotten into an argument with an acquaintance over money about 10 to 15 minutes before the shooting. He was not near his truck when it was fired upon. No one was injured.
"It's ridiculous to fight, to get that upset and to involve that kind of violence," Peters said. "Something like that, I don't agree with it. I don't think that should happen, especially in such a small neighborhood. There's tons of kids around here, too."
A few streets over, police stopped and searched an SUV believed to have fled the shooting scene.
Officers questioned two men, ages 23 and 21, in connection with the shooting. They were taken into custody on unrelated matters -- the 23-year-old on suspicion of driving without a license and the 21-year-old for a contempt warrant.
The case is classified as first-degree reckless endangering and second-degree criminal property damage. The investigation is ongoing.
"Everybody here is really nice and we all know each other," Peters said. "It's a tight community, so that is shocking to hear."
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- "Keeping Your Home and Avoiding Foreclosure" Seminar
- The High School Block Party 5 Exclusive Drug-Free Event for Teens 14-19 Years Old
- Ewa Beach Crush Football/Cheer
- Special Event at Kapolei Library Kicks off Children's Summer Reading Program
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Two children, three adults safe after boat capsizes off Kaena Point
- Oahu’s Turtle Bay Resort Joins Swipe4TheKids to Enrich Hawaiian Youth
- San Diego man didn't die while saving woman at Waimea falls
- Tourist didn't die saving woman at Hawaii falls
- Not guilty plea from woman accused of slitting dog's throat