Maili Elementary Principal named as finalist in $25,000 School Leadership Award | Business
Disa Hauge, principal of Maili Elementary School was named a finalist in the 2012 Masayuki Tokioka Excellence in School Leadership Awards.
One Hawaii public school principal will receive $25,000 ($15,000 towards a school project of his or her choice and a $10,000 personal cash award). The recipient of this year’s award will be announced at the Public Schools of Hawaii Foundation dinner on April 13, 2012 in Honolulu.
The award, which is named after Island Insurance founder Masayuki Tokioka, is underwritten by the Island Insurance Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Island Insurance Companies. 11 public school principals from across the state are finalists for this year’s award which recognizes outstanding school principals across the state and their efforts to provide high-quality learning opportunities for their students.
Hauge has been an educator at Ma’ili Elementary for 18 years. The past 8 years as principal and prior to that as vice principal. Growing up in Waianae, Hauge understands the challenges that teachers at Ma’ili Elementary face including: children in poverty, homelessness, foster care and transiency. Hauge believes the will to succeed is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to succeed. Through her leadership, several innovative programs have been initiated that have resulted in nearly 70% of students in grades 4-6 at or above their grade level in reading.
“Since she was raised in Makaha and attended Makaha Elementary and Waianae Intermediate as a youngster, Principal Hauge has a clear understanding of the many challenges our student on the Waianae Coast face on a daily basis,” said Suzie Lee, Vice Principal of Ma’ili Elementary. “She perseveres and does not allow any obstacles to hinder student achievement. She is a dedicated child advocate who envisions a brigh and successful future for all students.”
The Island Insurance Foundation was established as the charitable arm of Island Insurance, the only locally-owned property and casualty insurance carrier to have a charitable entity solely dedicated to supporting the non-profit community. Island Insurance is Hawaii’s largest locally owned and managed P&C insurance carrier with financial strength ratings of “A” by A.M. Best and Fitch Ratings and is the only Hawaii-Based company to be recognized as one of the Top 50 property & casualty insurance companies in the nation by the Ward Group for four consecutive years. For more information, visit its website at: www.islandinsurance.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- See Two Free Movies at Ewa Beach Library on February 24
- Learn More About Navigating Through New Solar Rules at a Free Solar Open House in Ewa Beach
- Emergency responders to conduct training exercises in Ewa
- See "Despicable Me 2" at Ewa Beach Library on Jan. 28
- Children's Author Will Read Christmas Book at Ewa Beach Library
- CBP's NATO West program helps new recruits transition quickly to career in real estate
- EMS puts four new ambulances into service
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts "Unlocking the Mysteries of Photovoltaic Systems" Seminar
- Kualakai Parkway reopened following oil spill
- Hear Hawaii Health Connector Speaker at Kapolei Library on Feb. 19