New scholarship for West Oahu students | Business
The Schuler Family Foundation has donated $20,000 to the University of Hawai‘i - West O‘ahu to create the Schuler Family Foundation Scholarship. This new scholarship will increase access to UHWO by providing support to high school graduates of Campbell, Kapolei, Nānākuli and Wai‘anae High Schools who wish to attain a quality university college degree without having to leave their community or home.
“With this scholarship, the Schuler Family Foundation is helping provide the support necessary to strengthen and improve the quality of life for island residents, their families and their communities through higher education, ” said Gene Awakuni, Chancellor, University of Hawai‘i - West O‘ahu. “We are most grateful for their support. ”
Criteria for recipients:
- Full-time, undergraduate enrolled at the University of Hawai‘i West O‘ahu.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Preference given to high school graduates of Kapolei, Campbell, Wai‘anae and Nānākuli High Schools.
- Preference given to recipients who demonstrate participation in community service activities, including volunteering for organizations or programs serving the West O‘ahu community.
- Some degree of financial need, not as determined by federal guidelines.
“The new University of Hawai‘i – West O‘ahu campus will be a premiere learning facility for the entire community, and we are thrilled to contribute to making quality, higher education available for West O‘ahu students,” said Mike Jones, representative from Schuler Family Foundation and president, D.R. Horton – Schuler Division. “With our Ho‘opili community right next door to the new campus, we are looking forward to being part of the vibrant and growing East Kapolei community.”
Photo caption: A new scholarship fund has been established at UH West O‘ahu by the Schuler Family Foundation.
R-L: Schuler Family Foundation representative and D.R. Horton-Schuler Division president Mike Jones presents a check to UH West O‘ahu chancellor Gene Awakuni.
For more information on how you can support UH West O‘ahu please contact Mariko Miho at (808) 956-7983 or Mariko.Miho@uhfoundation.org. You can also make a gift online at www.uhfoundation.org/GiveToUHWestOahu.
The Schuler Family Foundation
The Schuler Family Foundation’s mission is to foster programs benefiting our communities, including programs focusing on the education, enlightenment and care of our youth, healthcare, particularly the funding of cancer research, and animal welfare.
The Foundation was conceived and created by Jim Schuler, who is also the founder of Schuler Homes in Hawai‘i. In 2002 Schuler Homes merged with D.R. Horton, Inc. – one of the largest homebuilders in America — and two years later it formally changed its name to D.R. Horton – Schuler Division. For more information, please visit www.drhortonhawaii.com, www.facebook.com/drhortonhawaii or call 521-2661.
The University of Hawai‘i Foundation, a nonprofit organization, raises private funds to support the University of Hawai‘i System. Our mission is to unite our donors’ passions with the University of Hawai‘i's aspirations to benefit the people of Hawai‘i and beyond. We do this by raising private philanthropic support, managing private investments and nurturing donor and alumni relationships. www.uhfoundation.org
UH West O‘ahu became a four-year, regional comprehensive university when it served its first class of freshmen in fall 2007. The University offers quality education, small classes and personalized attention at convenient locations. Construction began in August 2010 on the first phase of a new, state-of-the-art UH West O‘ahu campus in the City of Kapolei. It is expected to serve approximately 2,000 students for fall 2012 classes. For more information, visit uhwo.hawaii.edu, twitter.com/uhwestoahu, facebook.com/uhwestoahu or call 454-4700 or toll-free (866) 299-8656.
Margot Schrire, Director of Communications
(808) 956-6774 or email@example.com
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HSPLS Continues Internet PC Reservations Upgrade: Kapolei Library Scheduled for May 30
- Geobunga to kick off Hawaii State Public Library's keiki summer reading program "Dig Into Reading"
- Special HSPLS Children's Summer Reading Program Kick-off Event at Kapolei Library on May 28
- "What Is Your Home Worth" seminar
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Oahu’s Turtle Bay Resort Joins Swipe4TheKids to Enrich Hawaiian Youth
- San Diego man didn't die while saving woman at Waimea falls
- Tourist didn't die saving woman at Hawaii falls
- Not guilty plea from woman accused of slitting dog's throat
- Kahuku Library will Offer "Tuesday Night at the Library" Events in May