Punana Leo o Wai'anae hosts 'Imi'imi Pana o Wai'anae - a Scavenger Hunt for Wahi Pana | Arts & Culture
Information courtesy: Komike Mākua Pūnana Leo o Wai’anae
Punana Leo o Wai'anae first opened its doors in 1993 to provide Hawaiian language immersion to the Wai'anae Coast. This year it is hosting its first scavanger hunt fundraiser - 'Imi'imi Pana o Wai'anae. The event will take place on June 16th and will start at the preschool and weave its way throughout the storied places of Wai'anae as teams of 2-4 players (at least one who can 'olelo Hawai'i), search for clues that will lead to these wahi pana.
"'Imi'imi wahi pana o Wai'anae's purpose is to fundraise for our school while sharing and learning about our Wai'anae wahi pana and wahi kapu and to perpetuate the mo'olelo that connect us to our 'aina," said Mana Caceres, President of the Komike Makua, the parents' committee non-profit that supports the preschool. "It's also about supporting 'olelo Hawai'i in our community," he added.
The Punana Leo Hawaiian language revitalization movement began out of a desire to educate keiki in our own language. The first school opened its doors in 1984 and a total of 11 preschools operate today. Punana Leo o Wai'anae is nearing two decades of raising keiki and making 'olelo Hawai'i part of their daily lives. The school relies on the support of their ohana and community, especially when it comes to fundraising to help offset their daily operations and activities for the students.
The scavenger hunt will begin at the Punana Leo o Wai'anae campus, and will take place from 7:30am-1:30pm. A registration fee of $100 will include lunch and a raffle ticket for all participants for a chance to win exciting prizes including Hawaiian implements and much more.
The Komike Makua o Punana Leo o Wai'anae is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation made up of parents of the Punana Leo o Wai'anae students.
For more information, please contact Saydee Pojas, Treasurer of the Kōmike Mākua o Pūnana Leo o Wai`anae at 808.542.6245 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you there!
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Malama Learning Center to host Lauhala Weaving for Beginners workshop
- See Ewa Beach Library's Movie Mondays including "The Lego Movie"
- Wealth Managing Partners, Inc. tees off to help ill children of Hawaii
- Woman and three children escape unhurt as fire destroys their Ewa home
- Motorcyclist in stable condition after colliding with vehicle in Ewa Beach
- Kapolei Library Celebrates 10th Anniversary this Saturday, August 23
- Mini-golf charity takes up cause for grief-stricken children in Hawai'i
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free "Right Sizing Your Life" Seminar
- WEST OAHU STUDENTS RECEIVE $41,000 SCHOLARSHIPS
- Kapolei Shopping Center's free UKULELE JAM features Kuana Torres Kahele and others
- Servco Automotive Announces New Hire in Marketing: Jennifer Crowe-Lopez
- Common Kings to headline benefit concert for Koolauloa's youth
- Visitor from Utah dies after apparent drowning at Shark's Cove
- Polynesian Cultural Center's Hukilau Marketplace Introduces New Dining & Retail Offers
- State Farm Fair to feature "Best Local Pie" contest