Punana Leo o Wai'anae hosts 'Imi'imi Pana o Wai'anae - a Scavenger Hunt for Wahi Pana | Arts & Culture
Information courtesy: Komike Mākua Pūnana Leo o Wai’anae
Punana Leo o Wai'anae first opened its doors in 1993 to provide Hawaiian language immersion to the Wai'anae Coast. This year it is hosting its first scavanger hunt fundraiser - 'Imi'imi Pana o Wai'anae. The event will take place on June 16th and will start at the preschool and weave its way throughout the storied places of Wai'anae as teams of 2-4 players (at least one who can 'olelo Hawai'i), search for clues that will lead to these wahi pana.
"'Imi'imi wahi pana o Wai'anae's purpose is to fundraise for our school while sharing and learning about our Wai'anae wahi pana and wahi kapu and to perpetuate the mo'olelo that connect us to our 'aina," said Mana Caceres, President of the Komike Makua, the parents' committee non-profit that supports the preschool. "It's also about supporting 'olelo Hawai'i in our community," he added.
The Punana Leo Hawaiian language revitalization movement began out of a desire to educate keiki in our own language. The first school opened its doors in 1984 and a total of 11 preschools operate today. Punana Leo o Wai'anae is nearing two decades of raising keiki and making 'olelo Hawai'i part of their daily lives. The school relies on the support of their ohana and community, especially when it comes to fundraising to help offset their daily operations and activities for the students.
The scavenger hunt will begin at the Punana Leo o Wai'anae campus, and will take place from 7:30am-1:30pm. A registration fee of $100 will include lunch and a raffle ticket for all participants for a chance to win exciting prizes including Hawaiian implements and much more.
The Komike Makua o Punana Leo o Wai'anae is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation made up of parents of the Punana Leo o Wai'anae students.
For more information, please contact Saydee Pojas, Treasurer of the Kōmike Mākua o Pūnana Leo o Wai`anae at 808.542.6245 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you there!
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- See Two Free Movies at Ewa Beach Library on February 24
- Learn More About Navigating Through New Solar Rules at a Free Solar Open House in Ewa Beach
- Emergency responders to conduct training exercises in Ewa
- See "Despicable Me 2" at Ewa Beach Library on Jan. 28
- Children's Author Will Read Christmas Book at Ewa Beach Library
- CBP's NATO West program helps new recruits transition quickly to career in real estate
- EMS puts four new ambulances into service
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts "Unlocking the Mysteries of Photovoltaic Systems" Seminar
- Kualakai Parkway reopened following oil spill
- Hear Hawaii Health Connector Speaker at Kapolei Library on Feb. 19